Pumpkin, garlic & tomato soup
With Hallowe’en just around the corner, here is a super simple way to make sure that all the goodness of your pumpkin doesn’t go to waste.
All you need to do is whip up this tasty pumpkin soup!
Where possible try to buy organic veg or veg that will go to waste – most supermarkets sell a wonky veg options.
- Flesh from one pumpkin
- One tin of tomatoes, ideally organic and recycle the tin
- Sunflower or rapeseed oil
- Four garlic cloves
- Two onions
- Chilli or paprika – amount depending on your appetite for heat!
- Ground coriander – 2/3 tsp
- 1 stock cube – make 1.5-2 pints of stock depending on pumpkin size (and check if it contains sustainable or unsustainable palm oil using our Impact Score Shopping app)
- Nice crusty bread (check it’s sustainable using our app)
In total, the cost for this per person is exactly £1, or a little over a pound if you include the bread.
- Chop the onions and sweat them in some oil. Add crushed garlic and gently cook for a three minutes.
- Next add all the other ingredients and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Then blend!
- Then all you have to do is let it cool a little and serve with some nice crusty bread. YUM.
Feel good about eating the pumpkin rather than binning it! All the ingredients here should have a low carbon footprint, and if you get lucky, you might find the onions and garlic without packaging.